|Forward Looking Paris Office
1) Published a special Bulletin on the Millennium with editorials
by Louise Frechette, Claude Jorda, Mohamed Sahnoun, Yves Daudet
(Vice-President of Sorbonne), Andre Lewin (UNA for France). Among
other things, the Bulletin features the Millennium Declaration,
Security Council resolution 1318, a summary of the Brahimi report.
It will stay posted for a while as a reference document on our website.
2) Organized with the Press Club de France a luncheon/round-table
to host Bernard Miyet , outgoing Under-Secretary General for Peacekeeping
to debate with key journalists about the action of the UN in the
21st century, and of course about the future of peacekeeping. A
look at UNIC website offers pictures on the event.
3) Organized with the University of Aix en Provence an international
colloqium on the "Democratization of UN system" where Edward Mortimer
(EOSG) and Patrice Dufour (World Bank) will be keynote speakers.
4) The Director invited by the "Institut du droit de la paix et
du developpement" from Nice University to give a conference to Master
and PHD students about the role of the UN in the 21st century following
the Millennium Summit.
5) The Memorial de Caen Museum will hold the fourth students competition
on human rights and I will once again be part of the jury to select
the best expose and reward the winner with a visit to UN Headquarters
(in addition to other sponsors' gifts).
6) On 29 and 30 March 2001, the Centre and the "Institut du droit
de la paix et du developpement" from Nice University will convene
a seminar on the following theme: "The challenges of the third millennium:
security in Africa". The event will maintain momentum on Copenhagen
Social Summit resolutions.
Here are some activities by the forward-looking UN office